WATCHLIST is back following a woolly first week of action. Let's run down the games we chose:
- thacktor: FIU pulled off the unlikely upset of UCF. Ron Turner beat George O'Leary and you can't prove swamp lightning wasn't involved.
- Dr. Norris Camacho: Made it to 2:30 AM before giving up with Hawaii leading 18-17. Colorado would go on to almost have a chance to win but not really so they're kind of getting better maybe.
- Doug: Washington has no offense. And they still almost pulled off the comeback after a 16-0 halftime deficit.
- Chuck GBH: Pitt managed to beat FCS Youngstown State by a touchdown but lost their best player for the season. Pelini'd.
- oscarwildecat: Auburn looked bad and still won because Louisville's uniforms created their own quantum fields of inverted laws of physics.
- Jimmy Gards: Texas scored 3 points. Everyone was Irish for a night.
The author deems thacktor the winner of the weirdest game selection because there is now a gif of Ron Turner getting a Gatorade bath, and that's just purely bizarre.
This week we're still in prime non-conference territory, so the pickings are ripe for awful, awkward, and unsightly matchups, with a little room left over for a top-ten showdown. Like the entity of college football itself, we'll take the good with the bad and run through a handful of these games and what has drawn us to them.
Miami at FAU
WASHINGTON STATE @ RUTGERS
UTEP at Texas Tech | 2 PM | FOX
Hola caballeros. Y’all ever driven from El Paso to Lubbock through New Mexico in the heat of summer with a hangover that would take George Jones to his knees? I have. Driving through border checks that are much closer to nothing than anything – in particular, a water source? NEVER FELT CLOSER TO DEATH AND GOD SIMULTANEOUSLY.
The El Paso Taco Longhorns are making the trip up to the muy guapo Mexican Standoff that is Texas Tech Football. When Mike Leach gets fired (see above) you’ll start hearing rumbles from men in black denim floating notions of ditching Coach Suave for the Pirate. Lubbock is an industrial vacuum that runs on dust, plastic handled whiskey, and a certain rare breed of coach. The El Paso Taco Longhorns play football inside a (admittedly cool) mountain. It’s hard to feel more remote and desolate in this country than these two locales. They deserve each other and should start a conference with the US and Mexican Border Patrol intramural teams.
AND THE FANS! HJs in El Paso and goalposts in Lubbock. You know those platitudes that politicians spew about everyone deserving a chance to go to college? BOGUS. These aren’t colleges. They’re daycares. They’re training programs for Allsup’s management. They’re FFA of dirt farms. I can’t wait for the game.
Notre Dame at Virginia
Dr. Norris Camacho
#7 Oregon at #5 Michigan State
TONIGHT'S HOT ACTION
|Fri, Sept 11, 2015|
|7:00 PM CT
|Miami (FL)||at||Florida Atlantic|
|8:00 PM CT
|Utah State||at||(24) Utah|