What You Need to Know:
- Texas A&M is 4-3 (2-2) after two straight losses to Alabama and Tennessee before last week’s bye.
- South Carolina is 2-5 (1-4), with their lone conference win coming against Mississippi State.
- Texas A&M is No. 2 in the country in sacks while South Carolina is No. 128 in sacks allowed. Do with this information what you will.
- Defensively, South Carolina is No. 114 nationally in scoring, No. 66 in rushing defense and No. 130 in pass defense. If the Aggies can’t get their offense going against this team, sound the alarm.
- The Aggies opened as a 13.5-point favorite, and that line has moved to -14.
- The over/under is 53.5.
- Texas A&M leads the all time series 8-1, with the Gamecocks’ only victory coming last year in Columbia. The average score over those meetings is Texas A&M 31, South Carolina 18.
- The winner of this game theoretically gets the Bonham Trophy, though in actuality the trophy’s permanent home is at the Alamo. But the teams do get a replica.
- Famous South Carolina alumni include Darius “Hootie” Rucker, former Texas A&M President David F. Houston, actor Mike Colter (aka Luke Cage) and attorney Robert Kardashian .
What To Watch For:
- So many passes. South Carolina is one of the most pass-heavy offenses in the country while being one of the worst passing defenses. Meanwhile the Aggies rushing defense has been a brick wall save for against Tennessee (the best running team in the SEC). Expect both teams to air it out
- Sophomoric jokes. I’m not gonna say it’s original, but when you call yourself the Cocks we really don’t have a choice.
- Desperation. South Carolina knows that a loss here likely ends their slim chances of bowl eligibility. A loss for Texas A&M turns the coaching hot seat talk up to 11. Neither team lacks motivation to come out on fire in this one.
- Venue: Kyle Field (College Station, TX)
- Kickoff: 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 28
- TV: ESPN
- Cloudy early with partial sunshine expected late. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 87F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.