Texas A&M DB Antonio Johnson is already on the Thorpe and Bronco Nagurski watchlists, and on Monday he added one more to the tally, being named to the Bednarik Award watchlist. The award is presented annually to the most outstanding defensive player in college football.
Johnson is coming off an impressive sophomore campaign that saw him earn a starting role at nickel and serve as one of the Aggies’ elite tacklers. The East St. Louis, Illinois, native tallied 79 tackles in 2021, good for second among Aggies. Johnson led the team and was among the SEC leaders with 53 solo takedowns in his second season in Aggieland, also adding five pass breakups and 8.5 tackles for loss.
Other Aggies on award watchlists:
- RB Devon Achane was named to the Maxwell, Doak Walker and Paul Hornung watchlists
- OG Layden Robinson was named to the Outland Trophy and Wuerffel Trophy watchlists.
- C Bryce Foster was named to the Rimington Trophy watchlist
- DL McKinnley Jackson was named to the Outland Trophy watchlist
- P Nik Constantinou was named to the Ray Guy Award watchlist