What Your Need to Know:
- Texas State went 3-9 during the 2018 season, leading to a coaching change.
- The new Texas State Head Ball Coach is former Texas A&M OC, Jake Spavital.
- Texas State is located in San Marcos, Texas and is the 5th largest university in the state. The Bobcats are in the Sun Belt Conference.
- Texas State ranks 102nd in the preseason S&P rankings
- Texas A&M is 13th in that same ranking list.
- Texas State opened as a +34.5 point underdog
- In 2018, Texas State was 6-5-1 against the spread.
- Texas A&M 9-4 against the spread in 2018.
- This year, I will give my pick and keep up with my weekly record. You can remind me of my losses each week. I will take A&M and the points because, why not.
- Texas A&M is 2-0 all-time vs Texas State. The last meeting was a 44-31 victory on a Thursday night. The game was moved to avoid a Hurricane Rita.
- Spavital is not the first Texas State Head Coach to formerly coach at Texas A&M. He joins Dennis Franchione, who coached at Texas State from 1990-1991 and 2011-2015.
- Texas State joined Division 1-A in 2011 as an Independent, then joined the WAC, and then settled with the Sun Belt conference in 2013.
- Famous Alumni: Lyndon B. Johnson, George Strait, John Sharp, Beth Moore, Aaryn Gries, Paul Goldschmidt. Shawn Michaels attended, but never graduated. Please list your favorite in the comments below!
Bobcats to Watch:
Bryan London II, LB - SR
London registered a Sun Belt leading 109 tackles in 2018. London is the leader of a very underrated defense for the Bobcats.
Clayton Stewart, Punter - SO
Jake Spavital hired Bob Stitt, former Montana coach who is team #NeverPunt. It will be interesting to watch how much Spav takes on this idea from Coach Stitt.
- Venue: Kyle Field, College Station, Texas
- Channel: SEC Network
- Game Time: 7:30 PM CT, Thursday, August 29, 2019
- Texas A&M is ranked #12 in the AP poll. Some might find this to be a favorable omen.
- Junior defensive lineman, Justin Madubuike, and senior punter, Braden Mann, were named to the SEC Preseason First Team by SEC coaches
- The current forecast for Thursday’s game is a high of 92 and cooling down into the 70s that night. There are possible thunderstorms currently forecasted.