All Texas A&M Aggies players are due to report today, and with fall camp starting, A&M has released an official roster for the 2019 season. Obviously this roster includes the full complement of incoming freshmen (good news in and of itself), but if you haven’t kept up with offseason transfers, there are a number of notable absences, including a few that happened very recently.
2018 players not listed on the 2019 roster:
- Nick Starkel QB (transferred to Arkansas)
- Charles Strong, RB (transferred to Troy)
- Ben Miles, FB (entered Transfer Portal)
- Klyde Chriss, WR (transferred to Prairie View A&M)
- Montel Parker, WR (transferred to Texas Southern)
- Keynel McZeal, WR (entered Transfer Portal)
- Mohamed Diallo, DT (entered Transfer Portal)
- Ondario Robinson, DT
- TD Moton, DT
- Antonio Howard, CB (entered Transfer Portal)
- Jordan Moore, S (transferred to Houston)
Most of the players on this list were guys who were buried on the depth chart and are headed elsewhere in search of more playing time. The only one who was potentially in line for a starting role was fullback Ben Miles, the son of Les Miles, who is assumed to be heading to Kansas to play for his dad. The three fullbacks currently listed on the roster are walk-ons Cagan Baldree, Sam Stanley and Justin Mellenbruch.
And while defensive tackle is perhaps A&M’s best unit among the starters, it hurts to see the Aggies lose three depth guys. While they may not have been in the main rotation, injuries are inevitable and it would be nice to have veteran players waiting in the wings.
One final note is that Aaron Hansford has officially made the move to linebacker (which happened this spring). He played the position in high school 2016 class), but was a receiver/tight end in his first several years in Aggieland. He’ll look to provide valuable depth at a notoriously thin position.