The Women’s Bouncy Ball team was expected to handle an overmatched Florida team and they did, leading wire to wire in Gainesville on Monday night. I had a conflict and was only able to peek at my phone a few times in the first half. By halftime the score was 36-17 and A&M was shooting 62.5% from the field.
The Gators, who live or die by 3 pointers, played better as the Ags lost focus a bit in the third quarter and were able to cut the lead to 12 at one point. But the Ags got back up by as many as 24 before Coach Blair put in his bench in the 4th quarter.
It didn’t help the Gators that leading rebounder Delicia Washington didn’t play at all, possibly for missing a practice.
- Kayla Wells led all scorers with 24 points. Chennedy Carter and Ciera Johnson each contributed 21. Johnson had a double double combining her 21 points with 10 rebounds.
- N’dea Jones just missed double figures with 9 rebounds and 8 points.
- The Ags shot 56.4% for the game.
- A&M outrebounded Florida 44-24
- Florida was led by Funda Nakkasoglu’s 22 points. Danielle Rainey added 17.
- Florida was 21-61 overall and 13-31 from 3.
The rest of the SEC played on Sunday. So the Ags knew that they a win keep them tied with Kentucky for 3rd place in the SEC and that it would open a 2 game lead over Missouri and Auburn after the latter beat the former 58-54. Auburn still has to play S. Carolina and at LSU, while Mizzou has an easier schedule on paper at Arkansas and finishing with Bama at home. If A&M drops the last two games and Mizzouri sweeps, the Mutigers would have the tiebreaker in head to head play.
Kentucky had to hold off a late rally by LSU to stay tied with A&M for third.
- Kentucky Wildcats
- Thursday Feb 28, 2019 6PM CST
- Memorial Coliseum, Lexington KY
- Streaming: SECN+ Radio 1150AM 102.7FM
It’s a shame this one is only on streaming. It will be one of 3 games featuring two ranked opponents on Thursday. The earlier game at Reed was close and entertaining.