For the first time this year, an Aggie grabbed conference-wide honors
A&M’s 4-1 stretch is making noise at the conference hoops water cooler, and that narrative was pushed further when Savion Flagg was named SEC Player Of The Week.
Flagg was excellent in our two wins over Alabama and Arkansas, but he’s had a significant impact on this team all season. Here’s a sampling of his statistics relative to the rest of the SEC.
- Conference leader in percentage of minutes played (89.1%)
- 2nd in the SEC in “fouls per 40 minutes” (1.5)
- 23rd in the SEC from beyond the arc (37%)
- 24th in the SEC in FTRate - aka his ability to get to the line (39%)
- 25th in the SEC in “defensive rebounding rate” (16.6% - pretty solid for an undersized 4)
These stats add up to tell a pretty impressive story.
In conference play, Flagg has consistently given us 35+ minutes of above average defense (without fouling), above average rebounding, and above average shooting. In a world where we’ve had some question marks at other positions on the floor, Flagg has held down the PF position with little fuss.
Kudos to our most consistent player this season. This honor is well deserved.