What You Need to Know:
- South Carolina is 4-6 (3-4 SEC) on the season and is in danger of being eliminated from bowl season with Texas A&M and Clemson remaining on the schedule. South Carolina has been an inconsistent team this season with losses to UNC, App State, and Tennessee, but has the huge upset win over Georgia in Athens. South Carolina was forced to go with true freshman, Ryan Hilinski, at QB after starter Jake Bentley was injured in the first game of the season.
- South Carolina is an average offense with the 66th ranked passing attack at 234.7 ypg and the 63rd rushing attack with 168.2 rushing ypg and averaging 26.0 ppg (87th).
- Texas A&M is on a 3 game winning streak. This is the last home game before finishing out the season against Georgia and LSU.
- South Carolina’s SB Nation site is Garnet and Black Attack. Head on over to read up on the Gamecocks
- Texas A&M opened as a -10 point favorite.
- Texas A&M is 5-4 against the spread while South Carolina is 5-5 ATS (1-3 on the road)
- Texas A&M failed to cover the 38 point spread against UTSA and only won by 31. The early UTSA TD proved to be the difference. I am now 5-4 picking A&M spreads this year.
- I will be taking South Carolina to cover the 10 points but for A&M to win outright.
- Texas A&M is 5-0 all-time against SEC cross-divisional rival, South Carolina.
- Jimbo Fisher is 2-0 against South Carolina. The first win came when he lead Florida State to a 26-17 win over a Steve Spurrier coached Gamecock team in the 2010 Chick-Fil-A Bowl. The second was last season’s 26-23 win in Columbia, SC.
- Jimbo Fisher holds a 3-1 record over Will Muschamp. (The first three games involved Florida State and Florida)
- South Carolina and Texas A&M are contrived cross-divisional rivals in the SEC. The teams play for the James Bonham trophy named for James Butler Bonham, a native South Carolinian, who rode back into the Alamo to inform commander William Travis that no assistance would be coming for the Texan independence fighters.
- Sir Big Spur is South Carolina’s live mascot and is an Old English black-breasted red gamecock.
- Famous Gamecocks include Darius Rucker, Jadeveon Clowney, Sterling Sharpe, Lauren Michelle Hill, Ainsley Earhardt, Robert McNair, Zig Ziglar, and Good Bull Hunting favorite Stephen Garcia. Feel free to leave more in the comments.
What to Watch For:
- Enjoy Military Appreciation Day at the last home game of the season. I’m sure the fly over will be epic.
- Sacks on QB Ryan Hilinski. In South Carolina’s last 5 games, if the opposing defense is not able to record a sack on Hilinski, the Gamecocks win (Vandy - 0 and UGA - 0); while if Hilinski is sacked, the Gamecocks lose (App State - 3, Tennesse - 3, and Florida - 3).
- Kyle Field, College Station, Texas
- 6:30 CT, Saturday, November 16, 2019
- SEC Network
- South Carolina has faced injuries all season and wide receiver OrTre Smith, running back Tavien Feaster and running back/special teams ace A.J. Turner are questionable for the game satureday.
- Expect mostly cloudy skies, with a low around 46 for Saturday night.