What You Need to Know:
- LA-Lafayette is 1-1 on the season after losing on the road at Tulsa 66-42. The Ragin’ Cajuns racked up 596 yards on offense and scored 6 touchdowns, but was overpowered by a strong 28 point second quarter by Tulsa.
- LA-Lafayette is a member of the Sun Belt Conference and is located in Lafayette, Louisiana.
- The Ragin’ Cajuns are led by Head Coach Mark Hudspeth, who is in his 7th season.
- Texas A&M is currently ranked 59th in total offense per game at 439 YPG (114th in Passing YPG; 14th in Rushing YPG); while LA-Lafayette is ranked 34th at 480 YPG (62nd in Passing YPG; 24th in Rushing YPG). (Per ESPN)
- The Ragin’ Cajuns allowed Tulsa’s D’Angelo Brewer to run for 252 yards and 3 touchdowns. The key to victory will be exploiting this deficiency and sticking to the run. (#RTDB)
- Texas A&M opens up as a -22 point home favorite.
- LA-Lafatette is 0-2 against the spread this season, while the Aggies are 1-1.
- Texas A&M is 5-1 against LA-Lafayette with the one loss coming in 1996 when #25 Texas A&M went on the road to Lafayette and turned the ball over 8 times.
- The last meeting between these two teams was in 2006 with A&M winning 51-7.
- The Mascot for the Ragin’ Cajuns is a pepper named Cayenne. This is appropriate, and love that their mascot is a hot pepper. Well done.
Cajuns to Watch:
Three headed rushing attack
The Ragin’ Cajuns have a balanced offensive attack but run the ball through its two freshmen Tailbacks, Trey Ragas (12.7 YPC; 2 TDs) and Elijah Mitchell (7.4 YPC; 2 TDs), and its Quarterback, Jordan Davis (4.9 YPC; 2 TDs). Davis also has completed 60% of his passes for 471 yards and 3 touchdowns through the air this season.
Ryheem Malone, WR, Junior, 5’9” 185 lbs
Malone leads the Cajuns with 12 receptions, averaging 13 yards per catch. Malone is key in keeping the offense balanced and should see a lot of work in the middle of the field.
- Venue: Kyle Field, College Station, Texas
- When: Saturday, September 16th at 11:00 am CT
- Channel: SEC Network
- Kellen Mond got his first career start for the Aggies, marking the 9th different QB to start a game for Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M in 6 seasons. (Johnny Manziel, Matt Joeckel, Kenny Hill, Kyle Allen, Kyler Murray, Jake Hubenak, Trevor Knight, Nick Starkel, and Kellen Mond)
- Texas A&M has not lost a turnover and is currently +5 in the turnover margin.
- Christian Kirk became the 7th A&M Wide Receiver to reach 2,000 career receiving yards in the first quarter on Saturday.
- Bring your sunscreen. The forecast shows a sunny clear Saturday with temperatures reaching into the 90s after kickoff.