Scattershooting while wondering whatever happened to Fred Smoot...
- We have finally made it. Meaningful football is upon us, along with the promise of fall weather. It truly is some of the best weeks of the year in my opinion. There's nothing quite like that first real cold front that blows through Texas, and it usually happens right around Halloween. After surviving the death slog known as July, August, and September in this wonderful state, the mere thought of needing to wear a long sleeve shirt puts a smile on my face. So we have a night game at Kyle Field between two divisional foes. Each of them trying to cement their place inside the Top 25, as well as their pecking order in the SEC West. Looking at the schedule for Saturday night, this might be the most compelling game in prime time. Clear skies, kickoff temps in the upper 40's. A full day of tailgating in enjoyable weather. The scent of bourbon floating through the air. Soak it all in this Saturday. Party your ass off during the day with classmates or former classmates. Tell stories and laugh about some of the crazy bullshit you did during your days at A&M. And then get freakishly loud at Kyle Field. Get that Hate Barn rocking. E.T.R.
- (Somewhere in the skies between Oxford and Baton Rouge) "DARE AIN NO GOO EHNA EVA HARDEN WOMAN, AN I AINCUH OUT TUHBEE NO JESSUH JAME, AN YOU DOTE GO RIGHTUN HAH CHEKS DOWNIN MISSUHSSIPEE, AN THURAIN NO GOO CHICKONUH STIHK"
- The SEC isn't near the beast of a conference it was 5-6 years ago. But that also is making for some wild ass, unpredictable football. Outside of games involving Alabama and Georgia, not sure anyone can really predict what may happen. Pick any two of the other teams in the SEC and throw out a random outcome, and I would believe it's possible. Auburn loses at Vanderbilt 17-11? Yeah, that could happen. Kentucky beats Tennessee 73-4? Well sure, it can't be ruled out. BERT coaches the Razorbacks shirtless to a 15-14 win over LSU? I mean we all should have expected this to be honest. I have no idea what's going to shake out in this conference for the next five weeks. A&M could land anywhere from the Mr. Tubby Car Wash Independence Bowl to the Outback Bowl. I don't know if it still "Means More" but it's entertaining on Saturday's.
- Cowbells are the Truck Nutz of college football.
- Everyone keeps bringing up the fact that Wisconsin hasn't played anyone yet (and they haven't) but what the hell has Ohio State done at this point of the season to deserve their ranking? They've played one decent team and lost to them handily at home. Full confession time: I hate Ohio State. Like an unhealthy amount of hate. Buckeye fans have the arrogance of Longhorns, the pretentiousness of LSU fans, and the hospitality of Red Raiders.
- I desperately want Iowa State to wreck the Big 12 from now till the end of the season. Smite them all, Cyclones.
- Crappy MS Paint of The Week
- This weekend marks the annual Florida-Georgia game aka The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. Such a fantastic name for this rivalry. We should apply it to more games taking place this weekend. Nebraska-Purdue aka The World's Largest Gathering of Pasty White People. Oklahoma State-West Virginia aka The World's Longest Coaches Mullet Contest. Texas-Baylor aka The World's Largest Asshole Collection.
- Hate is a good thing in this sport. Let me know, which football team (other than our traditional rivals) do you have some real hatred for?