What You Need to Know:
- Alabama is the number 1 team in the nation and is 5-0 on the season after last week’s 66-3 drubbing of Ole Miss.
- Alabama has out scored opponents 231-43 this season. The Tide has not allowed a touchdown since the 4th quarter of the game against Colorado State; or in 8 quarters of play. The defense has only allowed 5 total touchdowns all season.
- Texas A&M is 4-1 after beating South Carolina on Saturday. A&M has gone 4-1 or better for 6 straight seasons; which is a school record (credit @tengland150 on Twitter)
- Texas A&M is currently ranked 41st in total offense with 448 YPG (95th in passing YPG; 14th in rushing YPG);while Alabama is ranked 14th in total offense with 509 YPG (94th in passing YPG; 4th in rushing YPG).
- Alabama is averaging 315.6 rushing yards per game but also have not needed to pass in their blowout wins. Texas A&M has held opponents under 100 yards rushing in 4 of 5 games this season.
- Alabama’s SBNation site is Roll Bama Roll. Cruise on over there for all info on the Crimson Tide.
- Alabama opens as a -23 point favorite, but the line already appears to be moving higher.
- Alabama is 3-2 against the spread; while A&M 2-3 ATS.
- Alabama leads the all-time series at 7-2 and has won the previous 4 meetings.
- This is the fourth time that Kevin Sumlin and the Aggies face Alabama while the Tide is ranked number 1. A&M is 1-2 against Alabama with that ranking (2012 - W, 2013 - L, 2016 - L).
- Alabama is the only team to make all 3 College Football Playoffs.
- Texas A&M and Alabama have shared multiple coaches through the years with Paul "Bear" Bryant, Gene Stallings, and Dennis Franchione.
- Famous Alumni include Jackie Sherrill, Harper Lee, Joe Namath, Bart Starr, Rece Davis, Jeff Sessions, Bernie Madoff, and Winston Groom (author of Forrest Gump).
Tide Players to Watch:
Jalen Hurts QB Sophomore
Hurts is Alabama’s leading rusher with 461 yards and 4 touchdowns on the season. He is also dangerous through the air against defenses that sell out to stop* the rushing attack. He has thrown for 6 touchdowns and zero interceptions. Jalen makes the Alabama offense nearly unstoppable. To have any chance of beating Alabama, A&M will have to stop Hurts and the rushing attack. Oh and keep Calvin Ridley at bay.
Calvin Ridley WR Junior
Alabama has accounted for 75 receptions this year; Ridley has 24 of those along with 2 touchdowns. The next closest receiver has 6 receptions. When Alabama has to pass, Hurts will be looking for the dangerous Ridely.
This defense has had several injuries this season and continues to perform at Saban approved levels of destruction. Against SEC competition, the defense has only given up one field goal with one shutout against Vanderbilt. Alabama is only alowing 4.23 yards per play this season. This is more impressive when you consider most of these yards have come in garbage time when the game is out of hand.
- Venue: Kyle Field, College Station, Texas
- Game Time: 6:15 pm CT
- Channel: ESPN
- The Texas A&M defense held South Carolina to 23 rushing yards. The lowest rushing output by an opponent under 25 rushing yards since limiting New Mexico to 21 yards on Sept. 5, 2009.
- Who forget to pay the water bill? Water was not working at Kyle Field on Saturday. Reports show that thr water has been turned back on.
- Partly cloudy with temperature of 82 degrees at kickoff.