Aggie starting point guard JJ Caldwell has been suspended for the first five games of the season.
A&M announced on Saturday that Caldwell will miss the first five games of this season, including an exhibition game, following a “violation of team policy.”
[...] Brazos County court records show Caldwell was arrested in May on a charge of driving while intoxicated, but the charge was dismissed this month "in the interest of justice."
The suspension is slated to begin with an exhibition game against Tarleton State, and will include the following
- Tarleton State (11/3 - Reed Arena)
- #13 West Virginia (11/10 - Ramstein Air Base, Germany)
- UC Santa Barbara (11/17 - Reed Arena)
- Oklahoma State (11/20 - Legends Classic, Brooklyn NY)
- Pitt/Penn St. Winner (11/21 - Legends Classic, Brooklyn NY)
Tarleton State and UCSB won’t be a problem, but losing Caldwell for West Virginia and the entire Legends Classic will be a significant blow. Particularly the game against West Virginia, who thrives on creating chaos through full court pressure. Not a game where you want to lose your primary ball handler.
The Aggie Hoops season formally tips off with Maroon Madness on October 26th.