Tuesday brought the first weekly press conference of the 2016 season, as Head Coach Kevin Sumlin, Offensive Coordinator Noel Mazzone and Defensive Coordinator John Chavis addressed the media as Texas A&M prepares to face UCLA on Saturday, Sept. 3. You can watch the video of each coach’s session below.
Kevin Sumlin, Head Coach
- How the offensive line has gelled
- Keys to starting off the season well (and hopefully ending it well)
- Armani Watts is good at football
- On A&M being 1-7 against ranked teams at Kyle Field
- Sumlin’s relationship with Jim Mora
- Three walk-on players recently put on scholarship
- How will offensive tempo compare to previous seasons?
- Trevor Knight’s leadership
Noel Mazzone, Offensive Coordinator
- Erik McCoy starting at center as a redshirt freshman
- Preparing for UCLA DE Eddie Vanderdoes
- What did you see out of UCLA QB Josh Rosen when you recruited him?
- What’s the biggest difference between SEC teams and Pac 12 teams?
- Will you tried to disguise what you do since UCLA is so familiar with it?
- Who’s more excited for this game, you or Trevor Knight?
- Biggest adjustment coming from UCLA to A&M
- How do you think the environment at A&M fits into the SEC?
John Chavis, Defensive Coordinator
- Starting his second year at A&M
- What have you seen out of UCLA Josh Rosen?
- Progression of young cornerbacks
- Will Donovan Wilson see time at cornerback?
- Importance of pressuring UCLA QB Josh Rosen
- Stopping the run is a priority
- Preparing for a new offensive system at UCLA
- Is it bad for your leading tackler to be a safety?
- Matchup of Myles Garrett and Daeshon Hall against UCLA tackles
- Development of Armani Watts, other young players
- How does departure of Josh Walker affect linebackers?
- Should we expect some surprise players on defense on Saturday?
- Anxious to see improvement
- What makes UCLA QB Josh Rosen so good?