It's unfair to the guys who signed an LOI with A&M to immediately jump to the negative--or to let the negative truly define this class. So with that in mind, I'm going to start off with the good news.
A&M addressed a few needs with this class with some very good players. On the defensive end Justin Madibuike is an elite/versatile pass rusher who could eventually spin down to a DT, but for now will do a great job of rushing the QB at the end position. We needed more corners and we got two guys in Oliver and Fuller who at 6'2ish are prototypical Chavis CBs. We've been lacking a true MLB for a while, and Dodson's size finally fills that void. Lastly Okeke and Chatman will provide support on the back end and could develop into excellent safeties down the line.
Offensively I'm pretty pleased with our WR group. Clyde Chriss, Kenrick Rodgets and Quartney Davis are a good balance of projects and day 1 players. The addition of Hansford gives us versatility and I've kind of lusted after a hback in a spread offense ever since Ohio State beat bama a couple of years back. Additionally we finally filled the void of our running back situation by signing two good ones. Assuming Boyd makes it in, we might even be in a position where we have depth at that spot (think about what would have happened if Carson had gotten hurt last year). Lastly, the OL group is pretty solid as well anchored by Kellen Diesch who is one of the highest rated OL we've gotten since Sumlin had been here.
Now onto the bad news. This class missed big time in a lot of areas. Let's detail those out:
- We needed at least 1 more star LB. Our LB corps has talent but lacks stars. Missing out on both Divinity and McCulloch stings. We dont need a ton of bodies given that we took 5 last year, but we did need at least one more
- Madubuike might spin down to DT, but not signing a true DT this year is bad news. This wont affect us immediately, but might affect us down the line. Everyone needs to cross their fingers and say a prayer that TD Moton gets in.
- I would have liked to see us take at least one more corner. Priest Willis makes me feel a bit better, but this is a depth related league and we dont want to put ourselves in a bind.
- The TE position. Our goal was to take two and we didnt get any. I'm no math expert but that doesnt seem ideal....EDIT @1:54 PM...hey we got Aaron Hansford! That's great. I think we'll use the hback way more than we would a TE.
- Aside from Diesch, our OL group consists of a lot of guys who will need a year or two to develop. We needed a Hudson or Little (both of whom were one time commits) to come on board.
- Losing Brandon Jones to the Longhorns is a huge failure on the part of our staff. No real way to spin that loss.
- Yet again we're not going to sign a full class which means that our roster will likely be somewhere between 75-80. We need a full roster to compete in our division.