Recently, the guys over at Footballscoop.com conducted a study of current FBS head coaches and where those coaches found themselves across the landscape in 2005 - 10 years ago.
10 years can feel like an eternity and a blip simultaneously. 10 years ago I was a junior at A&M. Dennis Franchione was the coach, and hopes were high for the 2005 season. The Ags were ranked No. 17 in the preseason and Reggie McNeal was entering his senior year.
The Aggies went 5-6 that year as Fran shoved one of the most gifted quarterback athletes I've ever seen into an archaic, inept option offense. Oh, and the defense was coached by Carl Torbush.
Point is, it doesn't seem that long ago. There's been an enormous amount of change across college football since. Your school landing the right guy at the right time with the right fit requires a lot more luck than is typically accounted for.
For kicks, let's take a look at where each SEC program was in terms of their coaching 10 years ago, and where they stand today:
|Where is he now?
|Where was he in 2005?
|Carolina Panthers Offensive Coordinator
|Miami Dolphins Head Coach
|CBS Sports studio analyst
|Wisconsin Defensive Coordinator
|Cincinnati Head Coach
|Springdale (AR) High School Head Coach
|Ohio State Head Coach
|Michigan State WR coach/Special Teams Coordinator
|Georgia Head Coach
|Georgia Head Coach (5th year)
|Arizona Defensive Coordinator/DB coach
|LSU Head Coach
|LSU Head Coach (1st year)
|LSU DL coach
|Ole Miss Assistant AD for Football External Affairs
|Tennessee Titans RB coach
|Florida Offensive Coordinator/QB coach
|Missouri Head Coach
|Missouri Head Coach (5th year)
|South Carolina Head Coach
|South Carolina Head Coach (1st year)
|Kind of retired
|West Virginia WR coach
|Texas State Head Coach
|Oklahoma Special Teams Coordinator/TE coach
|Ohio WR coach
I know a lot of y'all aren't readers, so here are some CNN-inspired graphics that I made myself in MS Paint to show some of the changes for the current head coaches.
TEN YEAR TAEKS:
- The wives of these job-hopping, job-losing workaholics are either saints or the most codependent people on earth.
- The state of Arkansas has been the airbnb Pilot truck stop for SEC West coaches over the last 10 years. So much coach couch surfing.
- The next time an interviewer asks you that bullshit "where do you see yourself in 10 years?" question, throw these graphics at their feet and storm out. No one knows. That's what makes life maddening and interesting.
- How about Richt and Pinkel? Richt has lasted at Georgia forever. He's basically Mack Brown without the natty. And Pinkel. Didn't it seem like this guy was always on the cusp of getting fired when we were in the Big 12? Now here we are - America and the SEC's seat filler - Missouri - has gone to Atlanta twice in three years since joining the toughest conference in the land. Not too shabby, Stinky Pinkie.
- Who is plugging away right now as a position coach that in 10 years will be the head man for a coveted SEC gig?
- Crazy question: who (if any) of the current SEC head coaches will still be in the same position in 2025?