I don't know about you, but I'm ready to get back to Kyle Field. My sunburn is starting to peel, my dehydration is taken care of, and the tailgate plans have already started again. You know, I seem to always forget how slow the weekdays go by during football season. Here you are at your desk or in class, just counting down the hours until the weekend. Allow us to help you out. Let's learn a little something about the Bearkats from Huntsville as we start to look ahead to Saturday night.
What You Need to Know:
- Sam Houston State is home of the
BearcatsBearkats....yes, that's Bearkats with a K.
- Sam Houston State went 11-4 last year, and returned 11 starters this year. One of their four loses? Right here in the friendly confines of Kyle Field.
- Sam Houston State lost in the NCAA Division I Championship game last year when they faced North Dakota State (yes, the same North Dakota State that just knocked off Kansas State in Manhattan).
Bearkats to Watch
# 11 - Brian Bell (QB)
Bell holds the distinction of being Sam Houston State's all-time winningest quarterback, with a career record of 31-8 in his starts. He holds SHSU records for career passing yards, total offensive yards, and touchdown passes.
#6 - Richard Sincere (WR)
Sincere was the 2011 Southland offensive player of the year. He'll play both wide receiver, as well as run from the
wildcat wildkat formation.
#20 - Timothy Flanders (RB)
Flanders is a two-time Southland player of the year and is Sam Houston's all-time rushing and scoring leader.
- Texas A&M is undefeated when playing the Bearkats (11-0), including a 47-28 victory last season, and 10-0 when playing them at Kyle.
- SHSU is 1-0 this year, beating Houston Baptist 74-0 last week in Huntsville. Take this with a grain of salt though, as this was HBU's first football game in their program's history.
Last Year's QB Matchup
- Manziel - 14/20 for 267 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT
- Bell - 14/30 for 150 yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT
- Give me your favorite A&M-SHSU memory from last year. Johnny QB? Johnny XP? EZ? C-Mike?
- Have a good Sam Houston story from back in the day?
- Predict the score.
Post your thoughts and comments on the matchup below and check back tomorrow for THE TAILGATE. Saturday's coming...