After a first quarter that saw the offense sputter to a 0-0 logjam, the Fightin' Texas Aggies slammed on the accelerator and earned their first victory of the 2012 season and the first of Sumlin's tenure in College Station. Johnny Manziel created with his arm and his legs as he made big play after big play - oftentimes going completely off-script.
More thoughts after the jump.
- It might have been last night's scotch, but I felt a bit uneasy about this game and that was not helped with the news that Christine Michael and Steven Campbell were suspended for the classic, ambiguous "violation of team rules". The running game did little to dissuade my uneasiness early on. I'd still like to see us be able to line up behind our top notch offensive front and physically maul an inferior opponent, but perhaps that isn't the Sumlin/Kingsbury way.
- Johnny Football straight balled. 20 of 36 for 300+ yards and 4 TDs will work. Oh, and he added a delightful 124 yards on the ground with a pair of scores. He still has moments that straight scare the shit out of you, but there are few guys more exciting around the country than JFF.
- DEFENSE. Loved these guys today. The front seven continued to be active, physical, and relentless. Gilbert was harassed from the onset and had Damontre Moore in his ear hole all day.
- The kicking unit probably earned some extra sprints this week after a generally sloppy effort.
- I think every scholarship wide receiver and then some had snatches today. Great to see big games from Swope and EZ, but Mike Evans was the beast of the day with 133 yards receiving.